Dear friends of DRBU,
It has been an eventful fall at DRBU. We welcomed new and returning students from fifteen countries, and the atmosphere on campus is alive and vibrant. The new students are a diverse and interesting group, and they bring a welcome energy and enthusiasm to our community.
In October we hosted a visit from the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) in order to reaffirm our accreditation status. Although the outcome of the visit will not be official until February 2024, we are optimistic based on the extremely positive reactions from the visiting team.
Our mission to educate students with knowledge and self-understanding rooted in broad Buddhist wisdom continues to inspire us every day. Everything we do at DRBU is possible only because of your support.
Here are some of the things we’ve been able to do this year because of your generosity:
- We have been able to grow and diversify our student body, welcoming our largest undergraduate cohort to date. Eleven students, together with ten new MA students and five Translation Certificate program students. Our students now come from every continent except Antarctica, creating a remarkably intercultural community.
- As the student loan crisis continues to impact millions of Americans, DRBU reaffirmed its commitment to a loan-free education. In accordance with the Buddhist principle of giving, we provide financial aid to every student who needs support with 87% of our students receiving financial aid this academic year alone.
- We continue essential facility work to prepare for the next phase of DRBU’s growth of 120 students. Such projects include renovations and repairs to buildings at both the Sudhana Center and the CTTB campus.
- We have initiated an extensive revision of the DRBU.edu website. The new site is expected to go live by the end of the year and will play a pivotal role in enhancing DRBU’s profile among prospective students and their families.
- Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi led one of our university-wide Contemplative Exercise Immersions (CEI). Our vision is to deepen the tradition of contemplative education and to create a community that supports and empowers that transformative process.
And the list goes on! It is incredible how much we have accomplished last year. However, there is much more to be done.
Together, we are growing DRBU into a beacon of Buddhist wisdom and transformative education. We need your continued support to realize this vision and to allow DRBU to reach more students. We invite you to consider making a gift to DRBU to help us meet our 2023-24 Annual Fund goal of $1.2 million.
Your donation will be instrumental in:
- Sustaining and expanding our programs
- Contributing to our financial aid fund
- Developing campus facilities
- Supporting the transformational impact of the DRBU education
Collective acts of kindness and generosity like yours are what keep us moving forward. Every dollar makes a difference. Whether you choose to donate $5 or $500,000, please know that your contribution is deeply appreciated and directly supports the day-to-day operations of DRBU and makes an immediate impact on the educational experience of our students.
Thank you once again for your faith in our mission and your commitment to making a difference. We are deeply grateful for your generosity. May you have a year filled with peace, joy, and compassion.
Susan Rounds, President
Peggy Brevoort, Chairperson, Board Development Committee