Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American Buddhist monk from New York City who ordained as a monk in Sri Lanka in 1973. He has translated, edited and authored many publications from the Theravada Buddhist tradition. His book In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon is read and studied in both the B.A. and M.A. programs at DRBU. DRBU Co-Curricular Events and Spiritual Life Offices invited Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi to host an informal discussion with the DRBU community on March 7, 2017.
Questions and topics discussed include:
- Developing a “Buddhist conscience” in application to the many challenges that are facing humanity today
- How can we live in community in harmony?
- How do we find a balance between inner cultivation and external action in the world?
- What are some trends that are happening in American Buddhism?
- What is nibbana?
- How did you decide to ordain as a monk in Sri Lanka?
- What was your process in compiling In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon?
The audio of the discussion can be downloaded here.