2019 Seminar on Reading & Translating Buddhist Texts
Aug. 10 - Aug. 16, 2019
Dharma Realm Buddhist University
City of Ten Thousand Buddhas
This seven-day seminar held in the peaceful setting of a Mahayana Buddhist monastery in Ukiah, California—the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas, will introduce participants to early Buddhist literature. This year, the seminar will offer five tracks of Buddhist text translation:
(A) From Classical Chinese to English;
(B) From Classical Chinese or English to Spanish;
(C) From Classical Chinese or English to French; and
(D) From Classical Chinese or English to German;
Working with Buddhist monastics who are experienced translators, participants will read a selected work and related commentaries.
Video from 2018 Seminar
• Read and translate a selected Chinese or Sanskrit Buddhist text
• Use key reference tools for the study and translation of Buddhist texts
• Attend daily meditation and ceremonies
• Participate in other activities of interest
1. Those applying to (A) should have at least one year of Classical Chinese before applying. A limited number of exceptions will be granted to interested applicants to (A) who are qualified in other ways.
2. Those applying to (B), (C), or (D) should either be native speakers or have some experience reading literary texts. Knowledge of English, Chinese, and Buddhism are preferred but not required.
Knowledge of Buddhist history and philosophy is helpful, but not required. Applications will be accepted based on suitability.
$165.00 (food, lodging, and materials)
Faculty and Staff Profiles
Our faculty come from a variety of backgrounds and hold varying academic degrees. For bios of selected faculty members, see below (listed alphabetically by their first names):
For more information, please contact email@example.com